Last jobs before launching

Fitting the hatches

The last few days before the launch passed in a bit of a blur. Fibreglassing the decks was the last bit of structural work we had to do and by the time we finished this we had ten days left before our launch! Plenty of time…

Decks undercoated and coamings fitted

Most of the remaining work involved painting or fixing. We got an undercoat on the deck and fitted the coamings (the wooden border around the cockpit in the picture above). Coamings are designed to prevent water on deck from getting into the cockpit and ours are made of epoxy coated ply.

Glueing up rubbing strake

We also bolted and sikaflexed the rubbing strakes to the hull; longitudinal lengths of iroko which prevents damage from occurring to the hull. In traditional wooden boatbuilding, a thicker plank (or strake) was built in at this height to allow for inevitable wear, but nowadays rubbing strakes are added as separate fittings, which makes them replaceable if necessary. Miraculously we managed to fit both strakes without getting black Sikaflex all over our newly painted cream hull!

First fitting the stem band

We also fitted the stem band, which we were unable to add until the boat was the right way up. This was bonded with Sikaflex and screwed to the stem and welded at the bottom to the rest of the keel band by Robin.

Welding stem band

Adding the final coats of paint was satisfying; it was lovely to see Kensa come together as the boat we’d had in our minds’ eye for the last few months.

Painting blue stripe

Admittedly it would have been nice to have had more time, but we were incredibly lucky to have an army of friends and family who all pitched in to help in the last few weeks.

Painting the detail strip

We wouldn’t have completed Kensa without them and we especially want to thank Debs, who gave up every minute of her free time in the last few weeks to helping finish Kensa. She has been an important part of our project from the very start, helping with everything from clearing the path to the workshop to painting the sole boards with particularly noxious floor paint without complaint and we are so grateful to have her support.

Last coats of paint

The only real issue with painting – apart from too many solvents on a warm summer’s day – was the difficulty in moving round the boat and the workshop with wet things to avoid!

Interior painted

We painted the floorboards, the planks inside, the blue detail strip around the sheer. We painted the deck, the coamings, the rudder, our faces, hands and feet. There was a lot of paint.

Paintwork finished!

What else? We varnished the transom, painted the rudder and got that and the tiller ready to fit. Our best mate Fergus, who also happens to be a talented sculptor and furniture maker, made us eight beautiful cleats out of oak. Si’s parents shifted lead ballast, went shopping for last minute paint, parts and screws and cooked for us for the last few days. Without this we would have probably lived on crisps and Haribo for three days.

Newly varnished transom

Name boards, very kindly and beautifully made for us by Richard Smith, were attached and that was it. Done! Suddenly we could stand back and see Kensa as a ‘proper’ boat.

Name boards on!

Or at least, we could have done, had we had been able to stay awake….

Me finished!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: